Day 22 of 30 Day blog challenge.
I have some bad news today, the traditional way of networking is DEAD, that is right, you can not longer expect to go to a networking event and hand out business cards or collect them and see your business grow.
We live in a time where everything is high-tech and people are looking for high touch experience when they meet with you. They need to know that you care and you have their interest at heart.
Of late I have started to connect and network using social media and other alternative way.
Here is what I do, when I am at a networking event and people ask me for a business card my response is I don’t have one, let’s connect on linkedin or FB. This enables us to be in contact a lot easier then emails, because let’s face it, email is the new snail mail.
Using SOCIAL media is the new way of networking, over the past 4 weeks I have been revving up my social activity and the amount of like minded and amazing people I have meet via comment chats or direct messages is unreal. The amazing thing is that I can be doing this kind of networking 247, while I am on the train, while I am multitasking and for the hell of it, even in bed in the last hours of hustle.
I 100% still go to networking events as you need to be see to be heard, in fact these days when I go to networking events I try to be more involved with the organization of the event or even be a speaker at the event. If you really want to be noticed then hands down you need to be on the stage, that gives you the best possible chance to meet the most amount of people in the room, with the least amount of effort. Sure that makes Tim Ferriss very happy.[bctt tweet=”Listen more than you talk, use your ears and mouth ration 2:1″]
My networking tips in somewhat order.
- Be clear on who you would like to meet and why?
- Your goal is to have people, Know, Like and Trust you!
- Be the speaker of the event or host, if that is not possible be the one person in the room that people want to meet.
- Start conversations by asking simple but open ended questions.
- Networking is like dating, don’t ask for marriage on the first date.
- Listen more than you talk, use your ears and mouth ration 2:1
- IF and only IF you have enjoyed the chat, thank them for their time and ask if they would like to continue the chat after the event.
- Add on social on the spot! if you have to, get a business card. (Read below what I do when I get a business card)
- The next day follow your new friend around on social, not stalker style either, DO NOT like old photos that is wired)
- Then you Jab, Jab, Jab and then Right Hook! (If you don’t know what this is then you need to subscribe to be alerted of my podcast, i’ll be covering that off soon)
- JV, Partner, Guest Blog, Do lunches and help each other grow & win, win, win!
What I do IF I happen to get a business card
In fact, I often don’t even take the card from them, I simply take a photo. Why? Great Question, not only is it more environmentally friendly, but it enables me to email it to my VA who will try to find the person on social, send friend request and then types all the info right into my iCloud contact so just like BAM the details are in my phone! hey presto! Surly as business owners our time can be used to solve greater problems. right?
Hope you have enjoyed this, please comment below your networking tips, tricks and success.